The Silent Battle: Being a Christian Battling Depression

I was born and raised a non-denominational Christian with more of a traditional Pentecostal twist. I was raised on the mission field, I was raised with the thought that mental health was demon possession/ oppression. The bible does talk about people who were possessed by demons that did have similar symptoms to mental health disorders, but obviously, they are not the same thing. 

As I have mentioned before, my depression didn't hit me until I was 13-14 years old, but I was mostly silent about it because of my upbringing. I remember when I told my mother that I had attempted to kill myself and she grabbed me and screamed a prayer over me. Now that I am older, I can understand the panic but as a thirteen year old child, I was scared out of my mind. Not only was I brought up in a Christian household that had conservative, traditionalist views on the matter, I was saved when I was six years old and have been a Christian my whole life. As a Christian, it's hard to understand why they feel things- especially me being at such a young age, experiencing self mutilation, depression, suicide, and other things that I felt as well. I was told that Christians didn't feel like this, that they found their joy in Christ, their peace- and yet I didn't know how to get to that pinnacle of my faith. I felt completely inferior and it plunged me even deeper because I felt like I was less of a Christian BECAUSE of how I felt. Keep in mind that at this point I was only 16 years old. 

At sixteen years old, you think you know everything, and I most certainly did when it came to the realm of Christianity. I felt like a worthless Christian because I couldn't get to that point. The reason why I felt this way was because I didn't understand what the unconditional love Jesus was talking about in the bible was. It was basically unknown to me because what I thought I was going through was my fault. But it wasn't, it was the situation around me that made me feel so overwhelmed. Once I was able to understand that God wasn't mad at me and I was going to be able to be loved, things started to look up. I understood that God was on my side and wanted to help me get through that valley I was going through. He was going to be there for me no matter what. And although, people in the church did tell me that what I was feeling was because I was sinning and causing harm to the temple that God gave me, they didn't tell me that God actually loved me through all the things that I was feeling. 

Years later, now that I am through the thick of it, I understand that I am not the only Christian who has gone through and knowing that really helped. Although, many people say that Depression is a spirit, there are many misconceptions that comes with being a Christian and going through Depression.  But that's another blog post. 

I know this is a late post, but with everything that has been going on and the current freeze over of the entire state, things that have been a little turned upside down. Louisiana definitely wasn't meant to deal with freezing temperatures. Stay safe out there and remember that YOU are enough, and things will look up. Love you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not All Lights, Camera, Action

Being a Christian with Depression

Time out: Taking Time for Yourself in the Game