Choose Health: It's not Always Easy

 Happy Mental Health Awareness Month everyone! As many of you (my readers) know, I am a survivor of Depression, Anxiety, and Anorexia. To pay tribute to this month and what I stand for, I have reached out to other titleholders across the nation and asked them to share their story with me so I can bring it to you. Last post, we had Miss Mile High, Shannon. This week, we have Miss Lancaster County, Kayla Myers! Her social impact Initiative is #choosehealth. She is vying for the job title of Miss Pennsylvania that will be held on June 17-19, 2021! 


1: What made you choose your SII?

I chose my social impact initiative #ChooseHealth as health and fitness has dramatically changed my life for the better and has allowed me to flourish as an individual. I believe a healthy lifestyle is important for everyone as there are innumerable benefits of living a healthy lifestyle, such as preventing disease, improving mental health, relieving stress, and creating a space for socialization. It is my mission to share my SII with as many individuals as possible in order to change their life for the better as a healthy lifestyle truly has the ability to transform lives, and I am living evidence of this. 

2: What is your mental health journey?
My mental health journey is an ongoing journey. There are still days where I struggle and have setbacks; however, it is evident I have grown and developed into a stronger and much more resilient individual. Upon reflecting back to my younger self, I remember being a shy, sad, and insecure middle school and high school girl who put on a “mask” every day pretending to be everything she was not—happy, confident, and in love with herself. This version of myself was struggling with crippling anxiety, depression, and eating disorders. I have a genetic predisposition to depression and anxiety but also faced many obstacles and great adversity growing up that impacted my mental health. I grew up in a household with an abusive father, spent a period of time homeless after my mother left my father, was in an abusive relationship in high school, and was bullied over the course of my life. Rather than expressing my feelings, I bottled everything up until I could no longer handle it and became physically ill. I was taken out of school and was tested for almost everything, but all of the tests came back negative. One doctor took a holistic approach and realized there may be stress and trauma playing a role in my physical ailment. After seeing a therapist and receiving support from my mom and sister I began to fell much healthier. I was eventually cleared to return to school after a year and even tried out for my high school’s cheerleading team; to my surprise, I made the team. This team changed my life as I fell in love with health and fitness and learned the science behind physical activity and nutrition as I worked to become a better athlete every day. I also built confidence and transformed into a leader (they call it cheer”leading” for a reason). Today I share my story and utilize my SII #ChooseHealth to educate others on the importance of living a healthy lifestyle based on four pillars: physical activity, adequate nutrition, prioritizing mental health, and the avoidance of risk behaviors. 

3: How is it being a titleholder and going through your mental health journey (or someone else's)
I know for myself and many other titleholders that it can be easy to feel as if you should never struggle with mental health issues due to your position. It can make you feel like an imposter. However, I believe it makes you real and authentic. Everyone has mental health and it is crucial we do not ignore our mental health, but rather nurture it and ensure we prioritize our well-being. As a titleholder, it is my goal to use my social impact initiative #ChooseHealth and to work with other titleholders and mental health organizations to breakdown the stigma surrounding mental illness.

4: What does mental health mean to you?
For many individuals mental health may mean the absence of mental illnesses; however, from my perspective mental health is caring for yourself in order to flourish on an emotional, psychological, and social well-being level. I also believe mental health is a journey and is not static. Most Americans experience a mental illness at one point in their life, therefore, it is important individuals learn how to prioritize and take care of their mental health in order to improve their quality of life and to allow them to flourish as individuals. 

5: What are some tips and tricks to make sure that your mental health is taken care of?
One of the wonderful aspects of taking care of your mental health is that there are various means of doing so, making it practical everyone. Caring for your mental health is evident in many forms such as exercise, enjoying nature, spending time with others, meditating, reading, listening to music, doing self-care activities like face masks and bubble baths, and so much more. With that being said, it is important you dedicate a few minutes a day—maybe first thing in the morning or before bed—to reflect how you’re feeling, whether it be in a journal or a silent conversation in your mind. 

6: Any advice and/or words of encouragement for someone going through a mental or eating disorder, or in recovery?
I would like to lead by saying that you are not alone and that seeking help does not make you weak. Unfortunately, there is a lot of stigma regarding individuals choosing to speak about mental health issues and those who seek out treatment. It is my hope that this stigma will be eliminated in years to come as awareness and education is spread. However, since this stigma still exists, it is important you take care of yourself and prioritize your mental health. You can’t be healthy if you have a physical health issue or mental health issue, therefore both must be taken care of and justify additional aid from doctors, therapists, or individuals in your life who serve as social support. Remember, there is nothing wrong with seeking help and you are never as alone as you may feel. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not All Lights, Camera, Action

Being a Christian with Depression

Time out: Taking Time for Yourself in the Game